Sunday, October 10, 2010

Apple of My Eye

First: I am a foodie. I am a ridiculous epicurean who is living on a college student's budget. I love to cook, this weekend in fact, I had a dessert party where I served: dulce de leche cheesecake, brothers, cookie sandwiches with a nutella-chocolate filling, a fruit dip, bruschetta and cucumber dip (okay those last two aren't desserts but realized too many sweets isn't a good idea). All of that was made by me! I LOVE TO COOK! And not just easy stuff, like pasta, but crazy ridiculous stuff, like homemade dulce de leche for a cheesecake. Yeah, college student with aspirations of something bigger.

So when I shop, I shop with a mindset of a not-so-average college chef in mind. Meaning the frozen food (prepared) aisle holds little interest for me, unless maybe frozen veggies.

Here's how my brain prioritizes when grocery shopping: 1. Menu for the week. I plan out what recipes I want to try/make before I go shopping. Saves me from impulse buys. 2. Price. This is pretty much tied with number one, because I set a budget for myself each week of how much I can spend. At the store, unless I know of a noticeable taste difference between the brand-name and store-band items, I go for the cheaper store-band stuff. 3. Shelf life. I may not buy a head of lettuce if I think, "No, I really won't be making salad for the rest of the week, that'd be a waste." 4. How hungry I am when I shop. I try not to go grocery shopping when I'm hungry, because that's when I make impulse buys. "What? Dinosaur chicken nuggets for only $2? I MUST HAVE THEM!"...Situations like that I try to avoid. Just because I love to cook and in general don't go for a lot of "processed" foods, doesn't mean I don't find them delicious. Realistically, though, it's usually cheaper for me to make my food and have leftovers for the next few days.

Thinking of what I ate over the past few days...it's hard to determine what had the most impact. I'll pick something random, then, because at least I can focus on it. I had some apples from New Zealand this week. ('sup Professor Nicholson) I know that apple farmers in New Zealand actually have an amazing industry that's committed to growing the apples, if not completely organically, in an integrated system. Here's a pretty fun publication on agricultural exports from New Zealand: http://www.hortresearch.co.nz/files/aboutus/factsandfigs/ff2007.pdf.

Anyway, so despite the fact that New Zealand is doing this amazing sustainability program, all these apples to had to come to the US. I've been to New Zealand. It is a FOURTEEN HOUR FLIGHT THERE FROM LA. How long does a cargo ship take? How much fuel is burned in the transportation? And since I had this apple here, in DC, not only does it have to get to the US, it has to get to the other side of the US. So many fossil fuels burnt! Oooooooh no CO2 whoa!

But why do we have apples from New Zealand? The US has got the apple market covered, right? Johnny Appleseed and all that? Well. There's this idea of demand. Even if apples aren't in season (though they are here), people demand apples. So New Zealand, on an opposite seasonal system than us (hey spring!), can provide that, at the cost of the environment. Good times.

The apple was pretty tasty though.

No comments:

Post a Comment